If your physical assets (such as 你的家 and car) are the majority of your net worth, it's important to make sure you're adequately protected with proper property insurance coverage. This can help provide peace of mind if difficult circumstances arise.
Many people overlook the importance of homeowners insurance. Not only does it protect one of your largest investments, 你的家, but it can also provide protection from personal liability if someone is injured on your property or if you injure someone else.
To assess whether you have adequate home coverage, consider asking a local contractor to provide an estimate of what it would cost to rebuild 你的家. 同时，回答以下问题:
- Do you have sufficient home insurance to replace 你的家 and its contents if everything is lost in a fire, 洪水, 或者其他覆盖的灾难?
- Should you consider 洪水 coverage? 获取有关 National Flood Insurance Program.
- Have you added square footage to 你的家 or made major changes to the existing space? If so, you may need higher replacement coverage.
- If you own a condo or apartment, what does your association's insurance policy cover? What are you responsible for besides replacing your personal possessions?
- Do you have fine jewelry or other highly prized collectibles? Consider having separate riders to cover these possessions.
- Review 你的家 insurance policy every few years. 随着资产的增长, you may need additional coverage for personal liability or recently acquired assets.
- Consider increasing your deductible to lower your monthly payments.
- Review your vehicle's Kelley Blue Book value to see if comprehensive ("full") coverage still makes sense.
考虑伞策略, which picks up where your auto and homeowners insurance policies leave off. A personal liability umbrella policy can be a cost-effective way to increase your liability coverage by $1 million or more.
这种类型的保单, 你的免赔额将会很高, since it's designed to be met by your other policies. An umbrella policy can protect your existing personal assets and future personal assets (like wages, 继承, 彩票奖金, 等.) against the cost of losing a lawsuit due to a car accident or accident on your property.
- 在决定是否需要帮助时寻求帮助 额外的责任保险.
- Contact your insurance provider and review your coverage.